Regie welcomes questions regarding Registration in the Canadian Registry of the Tennessee Walking Horse.   These are some of the questions with Regie’s responses.  IF you have a question for Regie, please send to [email protected]


  1. Dear Regie,
    I am selling my gelding, who was registered as a colt. So of course his registration papers state that he is a stallion.
    I really hate to have to pay to have his gender changed on the papers, but I do think it’s important for them to be accurate. Is there any way I can get out of paying but still have correct registration papers?
    Signed, Cheapskate

    • Dear Cheapskate,
      You are in luck! If you include a note to CLRC at the time of transfer to a new owner, stating that your colt has been gelded, the change will be done at that time at no charge. The papers are being re-issued anyway, so there is no additional handling involved.
      You can maintain your good reputation for accurate registrations and save your money!
      Signed, Regie

  2. Dear Regie,
    We are raising a few young Walkers, and we’d like to identify them as coming from our breeding. Can we choose a prefix for naming them that would do that; a prefix that no one else could use? We call our place “Wild Woods Farm”. That’s quite long, so may we use just the initials WWF if we want?

    • Dear Nameless,
      Yes, you may register a prefix with CLRC for your sole use. Write them a note stating the prefix you want to use and mail it in with the fee – $45.00 for members; $90 for non members. You may use a word, name or just the initials. Then whatever prefix you choose can be part of the names of all your foals… and no one else may use it.
      Here is what the CRTWH Constitution says about prefixes:

      1. A breeder may register, for his exclusive use, a name to be used as a prefix in naming his animals. The whole name including prefix, letters, characters, and spaces must not exceed 26 spaces.

      2. A particular prefix will be allowed to one person or partnership or corporation and in registering
      such name, priority in use and in application for registration shall be considered.

      3. Abbreviations shall not be used as a prefix to a name.

      4. In the event of a change in the name of a partnership or corporation or if any party is taken into partnership such name may be transferred upon application to the Corporation by the registered owner or his authorised representative.

      5. A transfer may be made from a deceased owner to his heirs upon application to the Corporation by the heirs or his authorised representative.
      6. Such registered name may be transferred to another person or persons on application of the person in whose name it is registered.

      7. After the expiration of five years the registered name will be forfeited if it has never been used in registering an animal by the registered owner.

      We’ll look forward to seeing the first foals named with your farm prefix!


  3. Mr. Wonderer says

    Dear Regie,
    I’d like to register my filly with CRTWH. However, her dam, my mare, is only U.S. registered. (The sire is double registered.) Can the filly be Canadian registered? Or does her dam have to be registered in Canada first?
    Wondering in Wiarton

    • Dear Wondering,
      Yes, your filly may be registered with CRTWH, and No, you do not have to register her dam in Canada first, before she can be registered.
      Get the registration application from the website, or phone or email for one. Fill it out as you would for any foal, but in addition, you must include photocopies of Both sides of the dam’s U.S. papers with the application.
      To register the filly, You must be shown on the dam’s papers as her legal owner.
      You should also make sure that the DNA (or bloodtyping) information is included on the U.S. papers, or if it isn’t, include her DNA card or blood typing info with the application so the filly can be parentage verified. (To parentage verify a foal, both parents’ DNA must be available, or both must be bloodtyped. You can’t verify if one has blood typing and the other has DNA done.)
      Good luck, REGIE

  4. Dear Regie,
    When is the best time to register my foal? She is about nine months old now.
    Proud Owner

    • Dear Owner,
      The cheapest rate for registering your foal is anytime from birth up to a year of age. It will cost $40 if you are a member, $80 for a non member. After one year, the registration fees go up and keep going up the longer you leave it.
      It is a good idea to wait until the foal is close to a year, because baby hair is so fine that it can be hard to get the root bulbs on the mane hairs. You’ll need to pull these to send in for the DNA analysis for parentage verification.
      Another reason to wait until Baby is nearly a year is to be sure of her colour. Foals can be like chameleons for changing colour – but usually you’ll be sure by one year of age!
      Be Proud – Register your filly! Regie

  5. Dear Regie,
    My old Walker, BB, died this spring at 30. What should I do about her registration
    papers? Sad Owner

    • Dear Sad Owner,
      I am sorry. It is hard to lose your horse, especially an old pal like BB.
      As for her registration papers, you should send them in to Canadian Livestock Records Corporation (CLRC) to be cancelled. Just write a note telling CLRC when BB died. If you’d like to have her papers back, request that CLRC return them to you. If you are a member, you can also request that CLRC credit $5.00 to your account for future transactions. (There is no fee for non-members.)
      If you check the CLRC pedigree site you’ll see that some horses have a date of death as well as a birth date. Their owners sent the Registration Certificates in to be cancelled, and that helps keep our records accurate. Regie

  6. Dear Regie,
    I was just looking at a horse that I like very much. I was told it was registered. But now the seller says he doesn’t have the papers – says they got lost when he moved or something. But he also says, “What good are papers on a gelding anyway?”
    Is that true – that reg. papers are a waste of time and money? I like the horse but wanted a registered animal. What should I do? Confused

    • Dear Confused,
      Registration papers are to a horse what your birth certificate is to you. They show you the horse’s date of birth, parentage, family lines, and background. They should also confirm the animal’s ownership. Yes, that has a cost, but so does registering your vehicle.
      People with no understanding of purebred livestock may see no value in that. However, you do. You wanted a purebred, registered horse and since you were told the horse was registered, you are entitled to have the animal’s papers transferred into your name. The owner is likely asking more for the horse than he would for a grade animal. If he can’t produce the registration papers, what proof do you have that the horse is actually who and what he says? Does he even have a photocopy of the papers, front and back? Or a bill of sale identifying the horse by name and number, signed and dated by the breeder or last owner? If the person selling the horse is not the last owner of record, then the horse has not been transferred into his name and the seller should produce a Bill of Sale showing that the horse was legally sold to him. (You can check to see who the owner of record is on the pedigree website if you know the animal’s registered name or number, or sometimes even the breeder. It’s free for anyone to check.)
      If your heart is set on buying the horse, make the seller follow up and either find the registration papers or apply for a new set before any money changes hands. If the horse is registered but was never transferred to the seller, that can be a big problem too when it comes to getting the registration papers into your name. It may be possible to trace the ownership trail back if there aren’t too many previous owners, but it can be tedious, time consuming, and frustrating. And also expensive (though there is a special offer on transfers by the CRTWH in effect just now to encourage people to get their horses into their names.)
      And if, in spite of all, you are willing to take the horse without its papers, make sure you don’t pay a ‘registered horse’ price.